Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Momentous "First Post"

As I'm sitting here writing my first blog, I'm thinking, "What have I got myself into?". This seems fitting, as these were my exact thoughts when I put my truck in gear and started off on my first long haul trip.

I should probably begin with a "prologue" (problogue?) to explain how everything began...

Well, I'm 24 and I live in Vancouver, Canada, for starters.
Ever since I was a little kid, I'd stare at the trucks driving down the highway, hoping that one day I could do the same. They just seemed so cool! As I grew up, I still kept dreaming of trucking, so I decided a few months ago that it was time to stop dreaming and do something about it.
I took a driving school for about a month, then I got my CDL (Class 1, as it's called in BC) on June 23 of this year. Now the fun part began - finding a job...
I sent out a million and a half resumes, and waited. It seemed pretty impossible to get a good job, as I didn't have any experience, but a few days later, I finally got the call I was waiting for. I came in for my interview the same day and was sure I bombed it. (My employer explained later that he took a chance with me because it's easier to train someone new to drive, than it is to train out bad habits and/or a bad attitude. Makes sense.)
So I got hired on Tuesday, July 5th, and on Friday, the 8th, I was told to be ready for the following Friday, as I was being sent on my first run. I had a week. Oh crap.
I didn't know where I was heading yet, but on the Wednesday before I left, the decision was Louisiana. That's about as far away from where I live as I can get!
I practiced backing up, picked up some loads around town and bought some supplies in the days leading up to my departure.  As I came closer to that day, however,  I started feeling extremely nervous, unprepared and downright nauseous.
Finally, the day had come. After a last minute repair to my back fender and loading all my stuff into the truck, I was off...
 That's me and my truck a few days after I was hired.

I took my baby home the day before I left for my trip. Surprisingly, the neighbours loved it!

Alright, now that I've gone over the pre-driving intro, I can finally start writing about my actual trips.

Hope you all enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coolcoolcool!!!! I am excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever happened? You havn't updated this in months now!

    ReplyDelete